Bloomington, IN – The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) just released an “overview” of a webinar they conducted in June 2018 and have now made it available on-demand.
Entitled, Routine Cleaning and Maintenance for a Healthy School Environment, it focuses on the importance of Green and effective cleaning, stating that:
One of the most effective ways to create a healthy school environment is to improve everyday maintenance to keep school facilities clean and running smoothly and safely.
Presenters at the event included:
- Tracy Enger, Indoor Environments Division, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Stephen Ashkin, President, The Ashkin Group
- Mervin Brewer, Assistant Custodial Supervisor, Salt Lake City School District, Utah
- Ricky Martinez, Assistant Custodial Supervisor, Salt Lake City School District, Utah
Some of the key points made during the webinar included items the professional cleaning industry is well aware of, such as:
- School environments are healthier when they are kept clean and well maintained
- Airborne irritants and allergens have a negative impact on student health and performance in schools
- Regular and thorough cleaning can prevent pest problems, minimize irritants and allergens, and create healthier learning and working environments for children and staff.
However, this year, the EPA went one step further.
The EPA suggested, “whenever possible, purchase certified green cleaning products from sustainable suppliers.”
To determine if a distributor is a sustainable supplier, the EPA recommends using the Sustainable Purchasing Tool, developed by The Ashkin Group.
“The ‘Tool’ helps purchasers differentiate between those jansan distributors that have sustainability programs in place and those that do not,” says Ashkin.
“Invariably, those distributors that do, are ‘walking their talk.’ They are more aware of the importance of these issues and [are] better equipped to help administrators become Greener and more sustainability-focused as well.”
Those interested in watching the webinar can now do so by clicking here.
About Stephen Ashkin and The Ashkin Group
Stephen P. Ashkin is president of The Ashkin Group, a consulting firm specializing in Greening the cleaning industry, and CEO of Sustainability Dashboard Tools, which helps facilities monitor and measure their use of natural resources. He is known as the “father of Green Cleaning” and the professional cleaning industries leading advocate promoting sustainability. He is also coauthor of both The Business of Green Cleaning and Green Cleaning for Dummies