FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LA Takes Big Step Forward Promoting Sustainability
New Ordinance Designed to Reduce Energy and Water Consumption
Vista, CA – What is likely an example of things to come, the city of Los Angles has recently passed an ordinance requiring buildings of 20,000 square feet or more to do the following:
- Benchmark their use of energy and water consumption
- Disclose (provide) this information to the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety
- Demonstrate steps being taken to reduce energy and water consumption.
In Los Angeles, and likely true in other large urban areas, commercial buildings are the single greatest source of greenhouse gas emissions. Further, in LA four percent of the city’s buildings are responsible for half of the total energy used in the city.
The ordinance requires that building owners benchmark their energy and water use using the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. Plus, it applies not only to industrial and commercial buildings but larger residential facilities like high-rise apartments as well.
According to Klaus Reichardt, Founder, and CEO of Waterless Co, a leading manufacturer of no-water urinals and other restroom products, “the program will be phased in over the next two years [and] while it is somewhat involved, there are many benefits to building owners as well.”
Among the benefits Reichardt noticed are the following:
- Benchmarking consumption is likely new to smaller facilities, but it is the first step in reducing consumption
- Facilities will be able to compare their use of energy and water to comparably sized buildings
- The ordinance lets building owners know about and take advantage of tax incentives that help reduce consumption
- Reducing consumption invariably helps lower operating costs
“Another benefit we see here in California and throughout the country is that sustainability not only saves money, it also makes money,” says Reichardt. “The stats show that greener and more sustainable buildings command higher rents and attract and retain more quality tenants, making this a win for both the environmental and building owners.”
Waterless Co. Inc. has established a well-respected reputation as being an innovative manufacturer of no-water urinal systems. Based in Vista, CA, the 25-year-old company is the oldest manufacturer of waterless urinals in North America. The company’ manufacturers a full line of Waterless No-Flush urinals, cleaning liquids, and cost saving accessories. Visit: www.waterless.com
Waterless Co. Inc.
1050 Joshua Way
Vista, CA 92081 USA
Media Contact: Robert Kravitz