AlturaSolutions helps businesses grow by turning words into sales. This article published, for client Avmor is an example
Chemical-free cleaning is considered a very safe way to clean surfaces. Safety is always a concern in cleaning and using cleaning agents. We must also add that this type of cleaning is viewed as very environmentally preferable.
There are several reasons this type of cleaning has grown in popularity. For example, while the cost of cleaning is typically 90 percent labor with only about 10 percent associated with cleaning agents, chemical-free cleaning can still prove to be a cost savings.
Finally, in many situations, chemical-free cleaning has proven effective. Major manufacturers of floorcare equipment have introduced floor machines that use just water for cleaning, and these machines have been well received.
However, there are issues that custodial workers and school administrators should be aware of when it comes to the use of chemical free cleaning systems.
Very simply, they are not effective in all types of cleaning situations. Among these are the following:
- Chemical-free cleaning has proven most effective when used to clean lightly soiled surfaces. When encountering more heavily soiled surfaces, cleaning agents are typically needed.
- While some manufacturers of chemical-free cleaning equipment report they can disinfect surfaces, cleaning workers and campus and school administrators are advised to use sanitizers and disinfectants when called for. Schools are always in a “don’t take any chances” situation when it comes to cleaning.
- Chemical-free cleaning will likely prove ineffective when deep cleaning, scrubbing, or stripping floors. Cleaning solutions engineered for this purpose are usually required.
- Some custodial workers report chemical-free cleaning has not proven effective when it comes to removing grease and oil in food-service areas. Degreasers are explicitly made for this purpose and should be used.
- While some custodial workers report positive experiences using aqueous ozone, many cleaning experts believe the jury is still out as to the long-term effectiveness of this cleaning method