San Mateo, CA – Every contractor needs to have several customer testimonials. They are powerful and can improve a contractor’s sales performance significantly.
However, many contractors find it difficult to ask for one. If this includes you, here are ten easy steps to get customer references:
- Be positive. If the customer is happy with your service, they will be more than happy to write something for you. However, beware: make certain your customer is satisfied. Sometimes, clients use this as an opportunity to express their dissatisfaction with your service.
- Be in the mood. If something is weighing heavily on your mind, asking for a testimonial can wait another day.
- Be selective. Make a list of those clients you believe would be most receptive to providing you with a testimonial.
- Be selective. For instance, if you are frequently calling on multi-tenant buildings, secure references from similar clients.
- Know your comfort zone. Start with customers who have been with you a long time. You will invariably be most comfortable with these clients.
- When to ask. Don’t ask for a testimonial by email or by phone. The best time to ask a client for a testimonial is when you meet with them.
- How to ask. Consider saying the following when you meet with your customer: “You have been a customer of ours for several years. Your business has contributed to the growth of our company. We are very grateful for that. We would really appreciate it if you could provide us with a testimonial to share with prospective customers.”
- It gets easier. Asking for testimonials gets easier over time, especially if your company is doing a good job and you have a good relationship with that customer.
- What to do with testimonials. Post them on your website; include them in every proposal and with every presentation. Take pictures of the facility mentioned and include them as well.
- Be thankful. When you receive a testimonial from a client, be sure and thank them. Send them a thank you card with a short note. No one does this anymore, so it has considerable impact. Your customer will appreciate it.
Ron’s Image is Here
About Segura & Associates
Segura & Associates was founded by Ron Segura, who now serves as president of the company. Ron has over 45 years of experience in all segments of the professional cleaning and building operation with ten of those years spent as Manager of Janitorial /Document Services for Walt Disney Pictures and Television. Segura & Associates works with clients, helping them operate their facilities in a healthier, more sustainable, and efficient manner. He can be reached via his website at http://www.seguraassociates.com.