Holiday Crime: Ten Things to Do Until the Police Arrive was released for client TAL Global
Serious crimes such as workplace violence and active shootings increase during the holiday season.
It’s right around the corner – the most dangerous time of the year. That’s what they call the period between Thanksgiving to New Year. It’s also known as holiday crime.
Law enforcement agencies often deal with more emergencies during this period than any other time of the year. Further, some corporate security consulting firms suggest extra measures their clients should take to protect their staff, facilities, and information.
Holiday crime can include shoplifting and break-ins. But if also includes much more serious crimes such as workplace violence and active shootings also increase during the holiday season.
If you are witnessing such a serious crime in progress, what would you do to ensure your safety, the safety of others, and get help?
According to Johnathan Tal, Chief Executive Officer of TAL Global Corporation, an international investigative and security-consulting firm, here are ten things you need to do:
- Run, Hide, or Fight. “These are always our first options but may not always be possible.”
- Remain calm; avoid any quick or sudden moves.
- Call 911, but only when it is safe to do so.
- Provide your name and the location of the event.
- Tell the operator exactly what is going on.
- Maintain your composure. “The operator’s job is to understand the situation and send help. Emotions, screaming, or yelling gets in the way.”
- Tell the operator how many culprits and how many people are in the building.
- If there are injuries, let the operator know this as well.
- If the opportunity arises to flee the building, do so.
- When the police enter the facility, keep your hands up and spread your fingers. “Remember, the police have no idea who is the culprit and who are the victims.”
Tal adds, “there’s much merrymaking during the holidays, [but] this could disguise a lot of inner conflict and stress, which blows up during the holidays. Keep your guard up. Holiday crime is a big concern. Know what to do in an emergency.
Another TAL Global Item can be found here.
About TAL Global
TAL Global is twenty-three-year-old, elite security consulting and risk management firm that protects human and physical assets around the globe. The company includes a team of world-class, interdisciplinary security experts that join forces to identify, analyze, and mitigate risks for their clients from every vulnerability – inside and out.
1999 S Bascom Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008